Monday, February 05, 2007

Travel the Home Exchange Way


Former GTI Home Exchange member Heather (HE15595) recently wrote telling us of her 9 consecutive exchanges in 2005. She writes “I am currently completing a book about the experience from an Aussie's point of view combining a 'travel diary' and a 'how to' section. GTI features prominently as THE best exchange site!. Plus we had some brilliant experiences.”

“We live in a rural area of South Australia, probably the least visited state (many exchangees hadn't even heard of Adelaide) so it was difficult enticing people at first until I hit on a few ways to make our destination attractive. We don't all live in Sydney! There seems to be no books on the market (apart from one - poorly written in my honest opinion - American one) and I'm keen to address the shortfall. And most Aussies we met during our six months overseas, were extremely interested in the idea of home exchange, wanting to know how I organised so many and how to do it themselves. Eventually I said flippantly to one couple in Florence: "I'll write a book when we get home!". And I have.”

“My draft book is 'doing the rounds' of everyone I know for their comments before having it professionally edited. I have been to a couple of Workshops on 'travel writing' and 'getting your work published' so am fairly familiar with the process. Then - the hard part - it just has to appeal to a publisher! “

“If that proves impossible, it will be a good yarn to pass down to our grandchildren.”

“The working title is "Way to Stay"; I'll keep you informed of what's happening.”

So good luck, Heather, we hope a publisher soon snatches up your work for publication.


We currently have 238 listings in Australia, admittedly not so many of them in South Australia, so why not support Heather in putting South Australia firmly on the home exchange map?

No comments: