Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Memoirs of a GTI Home Exchange Globetrotting Pensioner


Hello Kath,

Many thanks for your welcome email, and bearing in mind the passage of time (over 12 years)? and number of folks who pass through your system I envy your memory, I have difficulty in remembering folks I have met in the last 3 years. Looking back on old papers I think I must have registered with you early in 1995 prior to my cycle ride across the USA. That started on 1st May, lasted 6 weeks and covered 3,800 miles made many friends and raised £8000 for a children's hospice in Wales.

When I returned to the UK after that trip in July 95 there were a number of exchange offers from around the world in my mail. Arising from that I went to Canada the following year (May 96) for 2 exchanges of 4 weeks each. Then in September of that year I spent 6 months (with my cycle) in Australia where I had 4 exchanges around the country meeting up with cycling clubs and clocking up another 3000 miles. It was whilst I was in Australia that I read an advert in an American cycling magazine for the ultimate cycling trip in 2000 which is what my website is all about, although that now badly needs updating.

I think my family were hoping that the 2000 trip would get the travel bug out of my system. I have to say it made it worse, as the following year I did a ride down the west coast of the US from Canada to Mexico ( I was in Vancouver Island on 9/11) . Then over the next 5 years I have undertaken organised cycling tours in France, India, Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Brazil (with 3 trips to the last 2 ) and last year the most difficult challenge was an organised ride in Tibet covering 1000 kilometres from Lasha to Kathmandu.

Having moved to Wales from Bath in 1975 with my job where I retired in July 93 I felt I should relocate, but my travels kept getting in the way of those plans. I eventually put my Cottage in the Vale of Glamorgan on the market in 2004. This was eventually sold in August of last year whist I was in Brazil for 2 months. In the meantime I met Dorothy a widow (4 years my junior) who does not cycle but enjoys long distance walking so whilst I still try to spend time on 2 wheels a minor change in my lifestyle has now arisen.

Hence the reason for getting back into home exchange where we can both indulge in our respective pastime. As you will gather we are booked for a 7 weeks trip to South Africa commencing next January, unfortunately there was a report in the Telegraph last week end that due to an increase in crime there has been a big drop in tourism in SA so we hope it will not affect us.

Finally you did ask if I had any experience from my previous exchanges that I would like to pass on for your web-log, not sure if it will be of interest but there is one couple from Australia who I did an exchange with in 96, they came back to my cottage in 2002 and Dorothy & I spent a very pleasant 2 weeks at their Queensland home in Feb. of this year. There is more to add to that experience but if you think it will go down please let me know and I will prepare something.

What I now have to do is try and get some photograhs on to my listing. I am incidently pleasantly surprised at the level of subscription for GTI compared to other agencies in home exchange. No doubt there are more folks into home exchange compared to 96 but am sure I was paying more then than now ? is there another expense I have overlooked ?

best wishes
sincerely
Arthur

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Arthur sent me his above account in reply to my welcome return note to him: "How nice to hear from you again after all these years. The last time we were in touch you were contemplating cycling across the States in a charity ride. How did that go?

I haven't yet had a chance to look at your web-site that you mention on your listing, but if you have any little anecdotes about your previous experiences with GTI that you would like to add to our web-log, http://gtihomeexchange.blogspot.com/ please send them to me and I will post them with a link to your web-site.

Are you finding your change of
activity a little more sedate
than cycling, or perhaps it's even tougher depending upon where you choose to walk since you are close to the Cumbrian mountains and also have the Dales on your doorstep?

Anyway, once again, it's nice to welcome you back and I hope that you and Dorothy have luck in finding an exchange to South Africa as requested for winter 2008."

Rebecca said...

Hello again Arthur (hope you don 't mind the familiarity - after all we have had some sort of an acquaintance spanning 12 years!)

Thank you so much for updating me on all your travels - you are making my retirement from full-time employment seem very tame.

Please send me something about your trip to Queensland in February for the weblog.

Regarding your comment on the level of subscription, GTI has always been much more of an enthusiast's hobby than a money-making business, but the real saver allowing the subscription to be less compared to '96 has, of course, been the internet, as we no longer have the time-consuming and expensive task of producing print directories. As the use of the internet increased, directories became more or less obsolete as they were virtually out-of-date before people relying on print directories received them. One or two agencies still continue to produce them, but I'm not quite sure why. At GTI Home Exchange we prefer to be as 'green' as we can and not use resources unnecessarily. We feel that the internet and member communication by email is the more environmentally friendly option, even though it may have been pleasantly relaxing in the old days to browse through a directory to see what wonderful home exchange
offers there were.

With very best regards.
Kath Botterill